Millions of people struggle with substance abuse in the United States every day. Unfortunately, only a small percentage of those people will receive any kind of treatment. The common misconception is that admitting you have a problem is admitting failure, when in fact you are just admitting that you have a disease. Here are some other facts about addiction that you might not know in regards to addiction treatment in New Jersey.
- 13 is the average age children experiment with drugs.
- When heroin started requiring a doctor’s prescription in 1914, addicted users began scavenging junk metal to support their habit, thus coining the term “junkies”.
- 4 out of 5 heroin users started out by abusing prescription painkillers before switching to heroin because it was cheaper and easier to get.
- The U.S. has 5% of the world’s population but consumes 80% of the world’s opioid painkillers.
- More people die in the United States from drug overdoses than from car crashes.
- 50% of all suicides and over 50% of all violent crimes are caused by alcohol and/or drugs.
- The U.S. government spends nearly $500 billion every year on addiction and substance abuse. Only 2 cents of every dollar goes to prevention and treatment.
- 28% of college dropouts abuse alcohol.
Are You in Need of Addiction Treatment in New Jersey?
If you or someone you know is in need of treatment, we want to help. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you or a loved one today.