It is possible to overdose on cough drops, but it is not very likely to happen. When talking about an “overdose,” it refers to ingesting too much of the menthol they contain. The lethal dose of menthol is one gram per kilogram of body weight and one typical cough drop contains about 3 to 10 milligrams. Mathematically, that means you’d have to eat many cough drops within a limited amount of time to experience menthol poisoning.
The theme this year is “Recognizing those people who go unseen.” It’s about acknowledging (without stigmatizing) people in the communities who are affected by overdose but go unseen in the crisis. It’s obviously unfortunate that we need a day to make people aware of overdosing, but we do, and it could help save a life.