Overcoming Drug Addiction with Treatment Options
There are a number of proven ways to overcoming drug addiction and substance abuse, as both medical and behavioral treatments for drug addiction have greatly improved in the past decades. Addiction is a dangerous disease that too often goes untreated, with devastating consequences for the user and his or her loved ones as well. At Discovery, we want to help you get through recovery as well as possible, and are devoted to providing dedicated services to make your healing a success. Read on to discover some treatment options for drug abuse.
Understanding Addiction: A struggle that is both physical and mental, drug addiction is defined by its’ intense cravings for the drug, as well as the disruption it causes in the life of a person who uses drugs. Treatment is designed to help this person break out of the destructive cycle and live drug free. This is an ongoing process of recovery.
Overcoming Drug Addiction by Medication:
- Using medications can help with some of the most difficult parts of the recovery process, including assisting in keeping withdrawal at bay during an often painful period of detoxification. However, this should not be seen as a substitute for further treatment, as those who attempt to get clean only by using medication to stave off withdrawal symptoms show much higher rates of regression than those who fully commit to the recovery process.
- Medications are available for many major drug categories, including opioids, tobacco, alcohol, stimulant and cannabis. For those users who are using more than one drug, known as polydrug users, they will need to take more than one treatment medication to cover all of their various addiction side effects.
Recovery by Behavioral Treatments:
- When used in conjunction with medications, behavioral treatments aimed at modifying the behavior attitudes of a patient can be the most effective way to increase the healthy outcomes of a person undergoing treatment.
- Outpatient treatment, such as that offered at Discovery, works with clients regularly to oversee their recovery process. This includes counseling, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and family therapy aimed at helping all members of the difficult situation work to heal. In addition, various motivational incentives and interviewing will use positive reinforcement to retrain the thinking of a patient into a healthier outcome.
- Residential treatment, which is also available at Discovery, is another option for those who need a more intensive plan to their treatment. These highly structured programs capitalize on atmospheres of community and group improvement.
- One final avenue for treatment occurs within the criminal justice system, and is being increasingly incorporated into holistic programs for incarcerated individuals suffering from drug addiction. This is particularly effective when it is followed by a transitory period of continued treatment, working to ensure that a patient does not fall back into their formerly destructive lifestyles once they return to their home community. Even involuntary treatment in a criminal justice system is proven to be effective, though perhaps not as much as for those who willingly engage in the treatment options provided.
At Discovery, we understand how difficult overcoming an addiction can be. Each individual we help is treated with dignity and respect they deserve, with a treatment plan that is specifically tailored to their unique situation and needs. If you or your loved one is ready to overcome a substance dependency, call us at 1-800-714-2175 today. The road to recovery starts now.